IMG Stocks. (2015, June 27). Pink Flower [Online Image] http://imgstocks.com/pink-flower-copyright-friendly-image-in-gallery-flowers-is-in-public.html

San Jose Library (2008, August 9). Children using library computers {online
image} https://www.flickr.com/photos/sanjoselibrary/2839927173/in/photolist-99XZry-b2Y1vX-5jXnpB-9PWnh-4hZkPw-a91qfY-5jWU3i-5guc28-6VvuFx-4TyqWE-6wo5vG-5guaYp-5gywLA-4m5ojv-5gywcb-7LRPcs-e3Zz1-99EyQN-duvjjF-99FWTY-99CQgX-pyrM81-kpwdE-4m9qPy-5bwe6M-4DEf6B-5jXeU6-wH4BPL-ehBnRE-9es4mr-5JUU5s-q3K1zE-99XWwh-99DbaH-99CMGB-4cPmgA-62Y6XP-8XHKbe-4xBfB5-qpA85n-dkYFci-4E2zcQ-4unjj-99DNn5-99GKB5-5ugLFE-hT9xeh-6wnx18-f7Nth-2RYxn
Before I explored the digizen badge I thought of copy rights as a part of academic integrity, in which you should never copy another persons work because it is against the law. I was not aware of creative commons, in which you can extend the rights of your work. Anything you create can have copy right laws attached to it, but this can often restrict people from using it which can lead to your work no longer being shared or appreciated. If you want your creativity and hard work to be known than it is beneficial for you to get a creative commons license in which you can refine copy right laws and choose which parts of your work other people can use freely.
I would teach my students that copy rights are very serious, and breaking copy right laws by means of plagiarism is a serious offence. This would lead into the importance of proper citation, in order to give the author of the works you are using the recognition they deserve. I would also teach them about creative commons, so that if they would like to create a piece of work such as an online story, blog or website they can get a license that refines the laws of copy right. This way they are able to share there work with others and be recognized for their expression, opinions and hard work while still being protected by certain copy right laws.

No comments:
Post a Comment